12 June, 2013

I'm Not Dead Yet!!

Used to be that most of the time I was just LOOKING for a reason to get into the kitchen and cook or bake...  These days, with a 5 week old secured tightly to me via Baby Bjorn, I am looking for a nap more than anything else.  Yeah, it's like that in this house already...hence, you haven't seen any restaurant reviews in a millenium.  Sorry 'bout that...not sure when I'll be able to get back to that part.

Tonight I didn't want to mess with a last minute anything.  I wanted to make dinner and toss it in the oven.  That doesn't leave a whole lot of options these days without me possibly repeating something I did a week ago.  Then I remembered something...a Minnesota (probably everywhere, really...) staple in a pinch.  Creamy Funeral Potatoes.  I've had SO many versions of this in my lifetime, I could make a cookbook just out of "Funeral Potato" recipes.  If you think I am exaggerating, email me....I'll give you my Grandma's phone number.  She has 35 recipes of her own.

Creamy Funeral Potatoes
3 lbs of potatoes, diced (6ish c.)
1 can of cream of chicken soup (or homemade...it is easy!)
1/2 c. sour cream
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, melted
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I used Aged Vermont Cheddar)
1/4 c. green onion
1/4 c. milk
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F

In a large saucepan cook the potatoes for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender.  Drain, rinse them with cold water and then rinse again.  Set aside.

In a large bowl stir together the soup, sour cream, cream cheese, and butter.  Stir in 1/4 c. of the cheddar cheese, the green onion, milk, garlic powder, and pepper.  Stir in the cooked potatoes.  Transfer the mixture to a 2 qt. rectangular dish (as you can see by the picture below, I didn't bother with it.  I used a huge metal kettle to cook the potatoes and I decided to bake the potatoes in that...it worked...).


Bake for 25-30 minutes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Let it bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Give it a couple minutes and then serve it up!


 I'm sure you're drooling right now...  So, I won't waste your precious time verbally puking out all the highlights and loveliness of these potatoes.  I'll let you judge for yourself.  Creamy, cheesy and just the right amount of flavor.  None of the components overpowered or outshone the other.  I chose to have this with some breaded haddock and green peas, they were the perfect accompaniment to the potatoes.  I hope you enjoy these potatoes as much as my family and I did.  There are variations that can be done with them, just like any other dish.  Potatoes are generally a "blank slate" type of ingredient.  Look through your fridge and your cupboard and use what you've got.  Have fun with it!       

No comments:

Post a Comment