04 December, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies, Day 4

Every year I try to find a new recipe that could end up being a hit.  This year I came across a recipe that reminded me of something (Jubilee Jumbles) my Grandmother use to make every year, only with a citrus twist.  When I was young orange was my favorite flavor of EVERYTHING.  Soda, candy, juice...you name it; if it came in orange for a flavor that's what I wanted.  These cookies are packed full of orange flavor but so beautifully delicate.  They make you feel like you're eating a moist, dainty cake.  I hope they grow on you like they have on me and my family.

Orange Delights
1 c. Earth's Balance shortening
1 1/2 c. organic cane sugar
1 c. soured unsweetened soy milk
3 eggs or 3 tsp. egg replacer
2/3 c. fresh squeezed orange juice, with pulp if possible
4 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
3 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. aluminum free baking powder

Icing
4 1/4 c. organic powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. orange extract
1/2 c. orange juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a large bowl cream the shortening and sugar together.  Add soured soymilk, eggs or egg replacer, orange juice and grated orange peel.  Mix well.  In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients together and gradually add to the creamed mixture.  I used my Pampered Chef medium scoop (tablespoon sized) to measure out the dough.  It will seem cakey and sticky.  Don't worry, this is how it is supposed to be.  If you want a smaller one bite sized cookie go with the Pampered Chef small scoop instead; roughly the size of a teaspoon.  Bake for 10 minutes OR until lightly browned around the edges.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

For icing, combine all your ingredients together and spread it over the cookies once they have COMPLETELY cooled.  Don't frost a warm cookie with the icing.  It won't go well.  If you are in some sort of rush toss them in the freezer for a couple minutes...the icing will set faster as well.


 
If you use the small scoop this makes about 12 dozen cookies.  If you use the medium scoop like I did, you get about 6 dozen...either way, you're sharing with someone!  The neighbors will LOVE you!

No comments:

Post a Comment